Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sam cooks... for his mum

It is my third time cooking green curry chicken, and I decided to cook a little more for my mum. This is probably the first time I cooked a meal for her. A very simple meal if I may say so.

Given she eats in small portions, I have decided to boil a prawn, a sotong ball and a piece of scallop for her. And as for the curry, I got her a decent portion of chicken (4 pieces), a couple of baby carrots and lovely green curry.
Here's the food (top) and here it is packed (bottom):
Well, the green curry chicken journey has been a rocky one thus far. The first attempt was too spicy. The second one (with butter) was too creamy and the wife said she would have puked if she had a second scoop of it. This time, I used a little water to prevent it from being too creamy.

Ingredients (serving 3): 2-3 tea spoons of green curry paste (a little goes a long way), 400ml of coconut milk (it says "low fat", I say, "yeah rrrrrright!"), cinnamon sugar, oil, onions, garlic, parsley, basil, curry leaves. Don't forget the seasoned chicken.

My mum used to cook red curry chicken once in a while (she uses yoghurt), and she told me she once cooked the curry so long that the chicken wing was fucked up. Okay, she didn't say "fucked up", but rather, the meat on the chicken wing became very loose. She felt really disappointed (she's very hard on herself at times), but surprisingly the compliments came flooding in.

I guess it is alright if chicken wings disintegrate in the curry. But I would prefer the chicken thighs and drumsticks not to meet the same fate. Thanks to my social science and humanities training from the increasingly overpopulated global educational institution that is the National University of Singapore, I treat curry not as curry, but as gravy. It is quite a paradigm shift for an amateur cook, you know!

Well, I began by frying (in chronological order after adding oil) onions, garlic, curry paste, curry leaves, and then the chicken thigh bits. The chicken should be 3/4 fried/cooked. Later, the chicken got some coconut milk bukakae (200ml). Stir stir stir and recite a few lines from Macbeth.

While I continued stirring, I added in another 200ml of coconut milk. I realised I tend to stir in a clockwise manner, perhaps I was thinking about doing a backhand.

Next, evacuate the chicken! Or if you prefer another noun, withdraw! Put it one corner and let it relax. Continue to cook the curry with whatever (already) boiled potatoes and carrots you have. Remember later to use the boiled water and splash it at your pesky neighbour's front door, you know, the one who threw lots of shit on your air-conditioner compressor, including that used sanitary pad? You could mix some urine and other human waste material with the boiled water too, but be sure to wash the pot really thoroughly after that, otherwise you'll get the kind of bacteria that is infesting Pasir Ris beach.

When you are ready to serve the curry. Pour the curry over the chicken and serve it!

I have always looked forward to cooking for my mum. You know, there are only a very small number of people in this world, to whom you will never in your lifetime be able to fully reciprocate whatever they have done for you.

I mean, she has cooked soups, rice meals, fried rice, instant noodles, not-so-instant noodles, western meals, stews, also made sandwiches, plus simple desserts, etc. She has also got burnt, scalded and cut many times doing so too. But now, she doesn't cook because it's only my dad and her and both of them don't really eat that much.

And the verdict is in. My mum says the dinner was really good. Ah, warms my heart. Now that is outstanding, isn't it?

1 comment:

Becky Cheung said...

Cooking is fun and I like to cook for my family too.

And oh by the way, I have a crazy neighbour when I was in Singapore that threw used sanitary pad on my air con compressor too. It's gross.