Monday, September 1, 2008

Technological dystopia

My heart just dropped.

My thumb drive, containing a couple of assignments due soon, and other readings, was just wiped out. It was as if it was formatted, but I would not have done such a thing.

I feel very disappointed and dejected. Right now, I've to rewrite a four-page dissertation analysis. Do it all over again.

The last time such a thing happened was when my mum, with the good intent of backing up computer files, used a collection of floppy disks which contained my songs, settings and compositions on the Electone organ, a culmination of 3 to 4 years of work, and 6 to 7 years of songwriting. These contained the earlier musical incarnations and blueprints of some of the earlier songs I had written. I cried bitterly that day.

I guess the latest experience with technology cannot top the previous. I did not cry this time, although I felt a bit dizzy upon the realisation. I just uttered "fuck" and immediately sent an email to the lecturer to request for an extension, but I do not expect her to grant it, so it is time to work again.

The sickening part is that the assignment is almost done and that I had taken my time to do it. Now I have to rush it, which is personally not a favourable option. I hate deadlines given to me by others because I work best with my own. It may sound like a "duh" statement but there are people who do not even follow datelines set by themselves. (I wrote "datelines" instead of "deadlines", but thanks to a reader's observation and enlightenment, I've made the change)

The thumb drive was a freebie given to us at some conference on interoperability by Novell and Microsoft. But I will still gladly take freebies, but place less reliance on them from now on.

No comments: